Every week, I post a story – with a historical or genealogical focus – about the lives of African American people. I love researching these stories and sharing them with you all. However, I have a very Virginia-centered focus, and I’d really like this to be a place where the stories of all our ancestors across the U.S. are told.
What This Space Does
My goal with this entire website is to share the stories, struggles, hopes, and work of African American people, and I’d love to share your passionate stories about these things here. Here, we are looking for:
- family stories,
- for stories of injustice rooted in historical racism,
- for stories about the places important to African American communities,
- for tips about African American genealogy,
- and most anything that has to do with black folks and our history and families.
How Sharing Might Help You
When you share a story here, it goes out to everyone I know online, and I also share your story in other forums that are appropriate including:
- African American genealogical sites
- Historic preservation groups
- Anti-racism organizations
I will get your story out to as many people as I can so that you find your cousins, receive wider support for an action or work or art, connect with other like-minded folks, and
The posting guidelines here are very loose, but typically, a post will:
- Be 500-1,000 words
- Include an appropriate image that the writer has permission to use. (Or I can select a copyright-free image for you.)
- Include a bio of the author, including links to websites or social media pages.
- Incorporate links where people can get more information.
If you’re have something you’d like to share, just reach out to me via a comment on this post or at email@example.com. We’ll work together to get it ready and get it out there.
I can’t wait to hear what you want to share with the world.